I’ve not participated in ihearfaces Fix-it-Friday before. I’ve only recently started following them on facebook… but when I saw this – it looked like it might be fun to try my hand at editing someone elses image.
So here’s the original photo (or SOOC, straight out of camera):
1. Open in Adobe Camera Raw and adjust some settings on the base image.
*exposure -.10 *recovery +30 *fill light +26 *blacks +5 *contrast +34 *clarity +17 *vibrance +19
2. Apply settings and opened in Photoshop CS5.
3. Patch tool on spittle on chin.
4. Command + J to duplicate background
5. Patch tool on bags under eyes then layer opacity to 74%.
6. Flatten and snapshot (History).
7. Square select tool – select the light. Hit delete key. Choose Content-Aware and hit ‘ok’.
8. Command + D to deselect. Then patch tool again to touch up the content-aware deleted area a bit.
9. Sent to Imaginomic Portraiture (photoshop plug-in) for skin.
*smoothing: normal. *selected mainly the darker/shadowed portion of skin on face (across the cheek and nose) with eyedropper+ tool. *luminance +74.
10. Back to photoshop CS5. Flatten layers and snapshot.
11. Ran MCP Action, Flashlight (‘All in the Details’ set) – to lighten shadows a bit. Command + i to invert the mask.
12. Paint brush tool at 30% opacity – started going over shadows to light a bit on face/hat/shirt and hands. Layer Opacity at 100%.
13. Ran MCP Action, Eye Doctor. Used paint brush tool at 30% opacity on each layer mask in the action – to taste.
14. Flatten layers and snapshot.
15. Image/Adjustments/Color Balance
*midtones: -1, +2, -11 *hightlights: 0,0,-4 *shadows: -16,0,-3 *hit ‘ok’.
16. Ran MCP Action, Magical Color-Finder Brush [intense] (MCP’s Bag of Tricks). Brush at 100% – masked hat/shirt/sleves/seat and legs *NO SKIN*. Then set the layer opacity to 27%.
17. Flatten and snapshot.
18. Totally Rad Action, Select-o-Pop. Masked eyes with 100% opacity brush and set the layer opacity down to 58%.
19. Flatten and snapshot.
20. Ran Florabella Action, Sharpen/Defog (Florabella Spring Set 1). and Flattened/snapshot.
21. Ran Florabella Action, Wildflower (Florabella Spring Set 1). Layer opacity at 60%. and Flattened/shapshot.
22. Command + J to duplicate the background layer.
23. Command + Shift + U to desaturate layer.
24. Command + L to bring up the layers tweak pallet. # Values [left to right] 57/1.06/249 *hit ‘ok’*.
25. Set the layer blend mode to Overlay.
26. Filter/other/hi-pass – Radius 5.5 pixels. *hit ‘ok’*.
27. Burn tool on grey layer – small sized brush, midtones @ 7%. Used the burn tool on shadows around nose, mouth, eyes, fingers and toes to help bring those back just a little bit.
28. Flatten and Saved.
Click on the images to see them larger!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this. I hope it was informative enough for ya too. It took me WAY longer to write this up than it did to actually edit the photo. lol! I think total edit time was maybe 10 minutes, tops.
If you’ve never tried one of these before… go pop over to iheartfaces.com and give it a try! And feel free to share any links you like here on my blog too! I’d love to see what you create! =) Maybe I’ll post an image to see what others can create with my work! Whatdaya think?! Should I? =)